What is the ‘Pathway’ Programme?
York City Baths Club’s ‘Pathway’ Programme provides opportunities for those swimmers in the region, who are at County level or above, to access additional resources in order to realise their own potential. The region’s clubs can also benefit from numerous opportunities provided for coaches/teachers as part of the ‘Pathway’ Programme.
How will ‘The Swimmer’ benefit?
‘The Swimmer’ will have access to the following:
- Additional training time, ensuring that he/she conforms to the guidance as detailed in British Swimming’s Long Term Athlete Development Model.
- A competitive outlet at Regional and National levels. Ensuring ‘The Swimmer’ is able to compete with the support of a larger unit (i.e. ‘The Swimmer’ will not be alone at meets, should other team members fail to qualify).
- Support services, including a land based training programme, physiotherapy screening/treatments and sports massage (dependant on which squad ‘The Swimmer’ is allocated to).
How will ‘The Club’ benefit?
‘The Club’ will benefit from the following opportunities:
- Having swimmers continue to represent ‘The Club’ at County level and below.
- An ‘Open Door’ policy for Coaches/Teachers wanting to visit York City Baths Club for advice and support.
- Access to York City Baths Club’s ‘in-house’ training programme for its own coaches/teachers (i.e. stroke technique workshops, planning/periodisation workshops).
- Access for Coaches/Teachers at York City Baths Club’s ‘Swimmer Education’ sessions (i.e. nutrition, injury prevention, psychology) and feed information back to ‘The Club’.
- Remain as the first claim club of ‘The Swimmer’. Swimmers will appear on British Rankings under ‘The Club’ and not York City Baths Club. ‘The Club’ therefore gaining recognition for achievement at this level.
- A ‘buddy’ system at meets (i.e. teams sit together, swimmers support one another and coaches share information).
How will York City Baths Club benefit?
York City Baths Club will benefit in the following ways:
- Continue to meet Swim21 Criteria, by providing opportunities for those clubs accredited at Foundation, Teaching and Skill Development levels.
- A larger poolside presence at Regional and National levels.
- Improved experience for our own membership (i.e. swimmers able to train with more swimmers of the same ability, networking with other swimmers at competitions).
How do you access the ‘Pathway’ Programme?
In the first instance, interested individuals should contact York City Baths Club’s Secretary, Alison Pickup, via:
If the swimmers meets the criteria, they will be invited for a trial and subsequently allocated to a training group.
Upon completion of the agreement between ‘The Swimmer’, ‘The Club’ (Head Coach) and ‘York City Baths Club’ and once any other necessary administration is completed a start date will be issued.
It is important to note that all places on the ‘Pathway’ Programme will be reviewed on a six-monthly basis